Burning pain in ribs, shoulder blade and chest. Medical test normal. Any effective medication?

past 2 month i am having pain in back left near solder blade and left side under rips some type of lite burning and vibration type of pain some times left side rips and chest some times right side, i went doctor they have taken some scans ECG, Echo, Endoscopy, ECG and echo is normal in Endoscopy test they told that my food pipe is weak and some gastric problem is there ,finally suggested to take physiotherapy for back pain and they told the burning type of pain is coming because of gas,they gave Cintrodac and Tryptomer for 1 month now i am not getting that burining type of pain but my back sholder balde pain and pain near rips is still there and from past 1 week i am feeling irritation itching type feeling near my solder blade,please suggest me any way After having that tablets i felt some vibrating feeling from my stomach to upto neck, then i again asked doctor, they told you are weak because of that you are getting they have given Hifenac-p tablet.after having some diet food now i am not getting that type vibration,but now my main concern is i am getting back solder pain last night my hands were burning for some time and i felt some uneasy and drowsy feeling i felt my head is heavy,let me is this because of having Hifenac-p tablet
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hi. Thank you for writing to us.

From your presentation, it looks like you could have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). In this disease the lower oesophageal sphincter that is present between the lower end of the oesophagus and the stomach, that prevents the reflux (going back) of food and other material from the stomach to the food pipe (oesophagus) is either weakened or not functioning properly.

Symptoms of GERD include:
-Change of voice
-Heartburn (burning sensation in centre of chest)
-Difficulty swallowing
-Reflux of food in mouth (like vomiting)
-Feeling of food in throat
-Bad breath
-Pain radiating to rib cage and back (especially thoracic area, upper back)

Treating GERD will help reduce or control the symptoms. Treatment options include the use of proton pump inhibitors (lansoprazole, pantoprazole, etc.), antacids and histamine 2 receptor antagonists. Lifestyle modification like weight loss, healthy diet, etc. also greatly help. Please discuss the possibility with your doctor.

Hifenac-p is only a pain killer and is not usually advised to patients with GERD. Hifenac-p normally does not cause these symptoms, and these symptoms (heavy head, drowsiness, etc.) are only associated with GERD. The diet food also helped because it is quite possible that you have GERD.

I hope I have provided all the information you were looking for. This is not a serious condition, and can easily be treated/controlled. Feel free to write back to me any time.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Burning pain in ribs, shoulder blade and chest. Medical test normal. Any effective medication? 21 hours later
Thank you for the reply, i have one doubt is gastric will give pain near solder blade, ribs, burst. and some times i am not getting sleep at nights,feeling sleepy but not getting sleep if lie down,i under stood that my problem is related to Gastric,but why i am feeling some times in night suddenly i am feeling hot like when you have fever u will feel hot right similar kind, after some time again i will fell normal.
please suggest me the way to get sleep a nights....

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 11 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX thank you for your follow up query.

Yes, this condition called GERD, will have pain radiating to the back region (especially the upper back, and around the shoulder blade), rib cage, center of the the chest, etc. This is caused due to the acid reflux from your stomach to the oesophagus (food pipe).

The reason why your discomfort is felt more at night is because of your position. In a supine position (lying down) it is easier for the acid and food contents from the stomach to enter the oesophagus. This irritates the oesophagus and thus will cause symptoms like heart burn (chest burning or pain), a hot flush (increase in temperature like feeling), vomiting or the sensation, belching, etc.

The only way you can get rid of these symptoms is to consult a doctor for proper management with medication and lifestyle changes (early dinner, less fatty diet, mild exercise, lose weight, small healthy meals, etc.)

I hope I have provided all the information you required. Do write back to me for any further clarifications.

Take care XXXXXXX