Burning pain and redness on the pelvic area, on antibiotics

hello, my friend has burning pain on each side of his buttocks and so far the doctor has given him antibiotics to help. do you have any idea what may be causing this pain, it is red on each side, no rash or visible infection.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting the question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with good answers and recommendations regarding what is going on.

There are two categories which I am considering which could explain what is going on with him. The first category of course is a bacterial infection. If the antibiotics do not make an impact this would be somewhat less likely. In addition we must consider the possibility that a virus could be contributing to the skin changes that he is seeing. Some viruses such as herpes virus can cause these kinds of things. It is somewhat unusual however that there are no skiing interruptions going on. Herpes virus is typically associated with actual Huber options and vesicles.

The next category which should be considered is somewhat of an inflammation. There are several autoimmune conditions which can present with this type of redness and discomfort. Does he have any other symptoms such as joint pains or swelling?

I would recommend that he finished a course of antibiotics as prescribed and if the symptoms are no better he should consider starting a course of antiviral therapy. Medications such as acyclovir or Valtrex have been used to successfully to treat viral types of skin infections. If beyond course of antibiotics or antiviral medications he still has symptoms he probably needs to see his doctor to discuss possible blood tests to make sure there is no type of autoimmune phenomenon going on.

I thank you again for submitting a question. I hope my response has been helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert.