Burning in stomach with pain, fever. Ultrasound shows enlarged liver, advised Rekool, Oolac. Is this treatment correct ?

Dear Sir
I was feeling burning in my stomach and pain for last 15 days, with slight fever which I never felt except on one or two occasions that too revealed at the doctor’s clinic. The pain in stomach and burning sensation used to occur once or twice in a day. As per doctor prescription, I took Rekool L (1 time in the morning empty stomach), Oolac (2 times a day), Drotin Plus (thrice a day) for 10 days. Now, the doctor has prescribed me Normaxin RT (twice a day), Cap Geridys (twice a day), Tab Neeri (thrice a day) and Tab SAC 250 (twice a day). Further the doctor advised for stool R/e and Urin R/e and full abdomen ultrasound. The Urine and Stool reports are normal. However, the ultrasound report has revealed Enlarged lever 15.8 cms in size and shows moderate to gross diffuse increase in echogenecity. No focal mass lesion seen. No IHBR dilation seen Hepatomegaly with hepatic steatosis (grade II-III). Since, last two days I am feeling better now.

My doctor has now advised me completely stop butter, outside and fried food for life. Further, he has told me that he will change the medicine after one week i.e. 25th XXXXXXX 2012. The doctor is general physician MBBS, MD.
Now, I have some queries :

i) Is it Ok if i continue with the same doctor.
ii) The medication is right for the time being. Any other tests are required
iii) Which food and fruits I should include in my diet.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 1 hour later

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic for your problems.

Your main symptoms were abdominal burning, discomfort and low grade fever of 15 days duration, which were handled by your physician and you feel better with his treatment. During this evaluation it was found that you have enlarged fatty liver.

I think you probably had some viral infection that led to fever and gastric symptoms, and with treatment they have improved. From that angle you dont need to do anything extra if there is no recurrence of symptoms. But certainly enlarged fatty liver needs further evaluation. Enlarged fatty liver usually occurs in people who take alcohol. are obese and have hyperlipidemias.

Coming to your specific questions;

1. For your fever and gastric symptoms you can continue with your current doctor. But for liver I will suggest you to contact a hepatologist (Liver specialist).

2. You certainly need more tests for your liver. Initial tests needed are LFT, Lipid profile, blood sugar, HbA1c, thyroid profile, HBsAg, anti HCV antibodies. Further evaluation will be based on results of these tests.

3. You can include any food and fruit in your diet. You should avoid alcohol, sugar and fats in your diet.

I hope these suggestions help you. wishing you all the best.

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Burning in stomach with pain, fever. Ultrasound shows enlarged liver, advised Rekool, Oolac. Is this treatment correct ? 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply. Further, I am 5'11" and having 93kg weight and in Feb 2012 only I went for Executive Healthcheckup at Fortis Sharlimar Bagh from my Company, where my all the tests came normal. Is it possible that within this short span of four months the problem has occured. Further, can a gasteronologist would be the right person to visit or hepatologist only. Thanking you in anticipation.
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 4 hours later

Based on height and weight your BMI is 28.7 which falls in overweight category. If you have been recently investigated and told to have normal tests (particularly the ones I had advised) there is no need to repeat them. Probably yearly follow-up would do
If liver size was normal at that time, then possibly this may also be the result of viral infection and should get better as it has resolved. . But certainly you need to reduce your weight by reducing your fat and sugar intake and exercising.
In India gastroenterologist and hepatologist are common specialities, so u can visit any one of them.

Take care,

dr Dinesh Singal
Follow-up: Burning in stomach with pain, fever. Ultrasound shows enlarged liver, advised Rekool, Oolac. Is this treatment correct ? 2 days later
Thanks sir, i confirmed with my physician, he advised that there is no need for any further test. Except diet control. regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 10 hours later

You can repeat an ultrasound after few weeks, and if the liver enlargement persists then I will suggest you should go ahead with the tests I had advised, if these have not been done earlier.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal