Burning in stomach, chest and throat. Acidity. Can this be cured by change in diet and medication?

At night, I am spitting up alot of acid, it wakes me up maybe 3/4 times what is causing this. It's also there during the day, and there is a burning in my stomach chest and throat, would you have any idea what this is and how can I cure it? Is this something to be worried about or just a mild problem that could be sorted out with some tablets or diet change, i'm starting to get a little worried
Posted Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The symptoms which you have described can occur possibly be due to acute gastritis, peptic ulcer disease, hiatus hernia (in this a part of the stomach goes above the diaphragm – the muscular partition of chest and abdomen). These are just mild symptoms and can be controlled well with some lifestyle modifications and over the counter medicines.
The best way to control these symptoms would be lifestyle changes with the following tips:
1. Change and develop good dietary habits including eating several small meals daily.
2. Diet should include fresh fruits, fiber XXXXXXX foods. Avoid spicy foods, fats and fried foods. Also avoid coffee, tea, alcohol, colas, and smoking. Avoid processed foods (Junk foods from refined carbohydrates). Eat freshly cooked food from whole grains.
3. Adopt proper posture.
4. Don't eat for at least three hours before you go to bed. If you have symptoms at night, try raising the head of your bed six to ten inches.
5. Maintain adequate hydration.
6. Adopting a sitting upright posture for 1 hr post meals will help in relieving the symptoms.
7. Avoid foods to which you are intolerant. Avoid alcohol, caffeine.
8. Start walking and reduce stress. You can also practice meditation techniques.

In addition to dietary and lifestyle changes, you can try the following medications to reduce your symptoms as follows.
1. Antacids (Tums, mylanta) can be taken to relieve the acidity.
2. Proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole can be continued for few weeks.
3. Activated charcoal will reduce the bloating sensation.
4. Probiotics and digestive enzyme supplements will help to improve indigestion.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.