Burning in buttocks, washing makes it worse. No open sores, rashes. What can it be?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I have burning around my butt and it seems washing makes it worst it is not have any open sores on it or rash do you have any idea what it could be and what to put on it?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

Considering your age I feel you would be constipated

Though there are no open sores or rashes, there are chances there is a small fissure that gives you the burning sensation and makes washing painful

I would recommend you take lot of fiber in diet, drink plenty of fluids and if need be add a fiber supplement

For a local application use a lignocaine 2% jelly after passing stool and before going to bed

Take sitz bath twice a day for 15 minutes each

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept this reply and rate it

Get Well Soon

Follow-up: Burning in buttocks, washing makes it worse. No open sores, rashes. What can it be? 18 minutes later
I am not constipated I go regualary 2 times a day
I get plenty fiber drink lots of water.Are there any other skin problems it can be?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting your followup

If you are not constipated and there is no fissure on examination, we need to rule out any fungal infection of the skin surrounding the butt

In some cases collitis also causes burning around the anal region because of mucus seepage

If you have neither of the above two, we clinically would prefer treating you as a patient with anal fissure unless ruled otherwise

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries

Get Well Soon

Follow-up: Burning in buttocks, washing makes it worse. No open sores, rashes. What can it be? 5 minutes later
Can i get medicine over the counter.I do have irritable bowel and chronic gastritis can that cause any of the problem

Hi

Irritable bowel syndrome[Constipation prone] can lead to fissures but as you said you have no constipation so it won't add to your agony

Chronic gastritis - No

I think you would be able to get OTC medicines

We treat our patients with Lignocaine jelly 2% for local application, Seven day treatment with a Probiotic and Ofloxacillin and Ornidazole

This will cover fissure and collitis both

In case you have fungal infection of the surrounding skin, a good antifungal ointment and a Tablet of Cetrizine foe 5-7 days will be good enough

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries

Get Well Soon