Burning in ankle and foot, pain in toes, no injury

My foot and ankle burn and throb, some portion of my lower leg as well- left side. Sometimes I limp. My toes also hurt, mainly the last two. The outside vs the inside of the foot hurts the most, there has been no injury. The top vs the bottom as well.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later

From your description, the pain in the foot and leg with burning sensation without any history of injury can possibly be due to-

1. Limb ischaemia- vascular study of the limbs will help in diagnosis. Color doppler study of legs is needed.

2. Nerve impingement- usually occurs due to degenerative disc disease. Nerve conduction studies, MRI of lumbar spine will help in reaching a diagnosis.

You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of 'Orthopaedician'.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Burning in ankle and foot, pain in toes, no injury 1 hour later
what are the long term effects of these if not cared for? any terminal? How emergent is it that I be seen- in between insurances right now-
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If the pain is due to a vascular problem then it needs an immediate medical attention. Nerve impingement also shows a better recovery if treated earlier. Please do not delay and seek a consultation from your orthopedician.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.