Ask a Urologist   »  

Burning during urination and ejaculation. Do I have UTI? How urgent is it?

When I pee it burns a little then goes away in about a minute, when I ejaculate it burns for a little longer. This has been going for some time now, I assume I have some kind of UTI. Advice please... how urgent to get to the urologist as I called and they can't see me for two weeks. What would you prescribe "to remedy the situation right the first time" ?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later

From your description it does seem to be an urinary tract infection. It could be an infection of the bladder, prostate or the urethra. an infection from bladder to the tip of the urethra can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

Most probably it could be prostate related.

Along with burning sensation while passing urine and during ejaculation, you might also get fever, pain in the rectum/pelvis/lower abdomen. Urine might turn cloudy.

Now to answer your questions.

1. How urgent to get to the urologist?

It is quite urgent to seek medical help. You can even consult a physician or a general surgeon for the time being or your prescribe to remedy the situation the first time?

The choice of treatment depends exactly on the cause of the problem. Hence it is difficult to say what I would have chosen in your case as we have not yet established the cause for your symptoms.

But, if I had thought it was an Urinary tract infection, I would have prescribed you a broad spectrum antibiotic which has good action against gram negative bacteria also in addition to gram positive organisms. The antibiotic could be belonging to any of these categories/families Flouroquinolones/Third generation cephalosporins/Aminoglycosides or a combination of these.

The exact treatment will depend on the urine culture and sensitivity test and your clinical condition.

Please seek medical advice at the earliest. You might need to get these investigations done when you visit your doctor.

a) Complete blood counts.
b) Urine routine exam and microscopy.
c) Urine culture and sensitivity.
d) An ultrasonological exam of the abdomen and the pelvis as well as any other test your doctor might suggest.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please do get back to me if you have further queries.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Yogesh. D