Burning and warm skin on left of rib cage, no rash or shingles. What could be the cause?

I have burning skin on my left side over my rib cage, cannot wear a bra and is very hot to touch. not shingles, no rash, bloody agony. help
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 16 minutes later

You are having burning pain on left side of chest.

Do you have the rash at present?

I would like to know the duration of burning pain.. Since how many days you are having the pain?
Is the pain is localized or radiating to back of the chest?
Do you have any other disease,beside Diabetes?
Did you undergo blood testing for lipid profile?
Do you have any worry or tension?

Please reply me above questions, so that I can advice you specifically.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD, DVD
Follow-up: Burning and warm skin on left of rib cage, no rash or shingles. What could be the cause? 1 hour later
I have had this burning on my left side of ribs for about 6 weeks. No rash at all. Have had chest xray but havent had results yet, also blood test this friday. The pain is quite bad and under my left breast and around to the back of the middle of my spine, in fact quite agony. Yes I have worry and a bit of stress, but surely most people have, also a bit depressed. Doctor has prescribed one tablet of Amitriptyline 10mg every night, doesnt seem to be doing anything! He, quite frankly, hasnt a clue what is the matter. I keep trying to pinch my skin but hurts and doesnt do much good. Any ideas???? There is no pain inside my body, if you get my drift all on the outside, also feel like someone is sticking a knife into me from the back.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 42 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

It seems that you are having either costochondritis or Tietze syndrome.

Costochondritis is a common form of inflammation of the cartilage where ribs attach to the breastbone, the sternum.

The inflammation can involve multiple cartilage areas on both sides of the sternum but usually is on one side only. You are having on right side only.

Costochondritis is distinguished from Tietze's syndrome, a condition also involving the same area of the front of the chest, by the presence of swelling. Costochondritis is not associated with swelling, as opposed to Tietze's syndrome, where swelling is characteristic. Tietze's syndrome is an inflammation of the costochondral cartilages of the upper front of the chest that involves swelling of joint.

The pain is variable, often sharp, can be confused with heart pain, and can last from hours to weeks in both conditions.

Pain usually subsides within few weeks,still following treatment may be considered..

Rest, anti-inflammatory drugs, physical therapy, and cortisone injections have been used as therapy for the inflamed, painful cartilage of both costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome.

Ice packs applied to local swelling can sometimes help to reduce pain and inflammation.

Intercostal nerve block may be helpful..,but it is rarely required.

Local lidocaine analgesic patch (Lidoderm) application can reduce pain.

Do not worry, prognosis in these both the condition is good. However relapse can occur..

I hope you may be satisfied with my answer, still you contact me after your result of X XXXXXXX blood test.. Ok

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD,DVD
many thanks, will try the anti inflammatory drugs, ice packs and will get back to you after I have my results.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 18 hours later
Hi, thank you very much, for your satisfaction with my answer.
Best wishes for fast cure.
You are welcome for any query.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD,DVD