Burning and stabbing pain in stomach while eating. What could this be?

Why is my stomach got a burning and stabbing pain, which hurts when I eat
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is probably GERD

Detailed Answer:

The burning and stabbing pain in the stomach which is also seen when eating is most commonly due to GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease). It could also be due to Peptic Ulcer Disease (PUD).

This is not something serious; so please relax. You could try using a course of antacids like Capsule Omeprazole 20mg on empty stomach early in the morning for next 3 weeks. This would take care of the stomach acid secretion and keep it minimal. The medicine is available over the counter. Alternatively, you could take any drug belonging to proton pump inhibitors.

Watch over what you eat. I would suggest you to eat less spicy and less oily food. Take more of fruits and vegetables, and drink at least 3 litres of water. Stay away from stress as this can aggravate the problem as well.

Your symptoms should subside in 3 weeks time. Get well soon.