Ask a Urologist   »  

Burning and redness at the tip of the urethra, noticed sticky discharge from penis. What is wrong?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Hi I got this sticky discharge involuntarily from my penis; at times it's a little off white, at times it's just jelly type. I have slight burn feeling near the urethra when I urinate but it's inconsistent. There's also a little redness at opening of the urethra. I am worried about it; could it uti or some stds?
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 14 minutes later
Hello

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have whitish discharge from the penis.

This is due to excessive secretions of periurethral glands located in urethra. This secretion acts as a lubricant to facilitate free passage of thick semen through urethra during ejaculation.

Burning and redness at the tip of the urethra is due to inflammation of the external urinary meatus.

Please take antibiotics for couple of days, get the prescription of antibiotic from your family Physician.

Ensure to observe proper personal hygiene by washing the genitals with warm water twice daily.

There is nothing to worry it should get cured in a week.

Hope I have answered your query.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions, I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil..

Follow-up: Burning and redness at the tip of the urethra, noticed sticky discharge from penis. What is wrong? 16 minutes later
But I didn't have any ejaculation done. This discharge comes few hours, maybe 2 or 3 or 4 hours.

Please advise.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 17 minutes later

Thanks for follow up.

I have mentioned about the function of this natural discharge which gets secreted even without ejaculation so as to keep urethra well lubricated.This secretion is excessive in some individuals.

Please ensure to take more water.so that it does nor remain in urethra for a long time and gets washed away with urine.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Follow-up: Burning and redness at the tip of the urethra, noticed sticky discharge from penis. What is wrong? 15 minutes later
So that discharge is due to infection of my urinary tract, & keep it protected?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Hello

Thanks for writing again.

This secretion is excessive in your case and may be due to infection of the urethra.
Do not worry it will get cured with antibiotic.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil