Burning and pain in urinary tract. How to cure it?

Burning & pain in my urinary tract is stopping me from going for a poo. Any advise?
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

It appears as though you could be suffering from either a urinary tract infection (UTI) or a bladder infection called interstitial cystitis (IC). The symptoms of which are the following:
-Burning sensation while urinating
-Frequent urination
-Increased urge to urinate, but less amount of urine passed
-Lower abdominal and/or flank region pain
-Itching around the genitals
-Blood in urine or immediately after (not always seen)

Please note that not all symptoms need to be present in one individual. What you are experiencing could be an inflamed urinary bladder (due to the infection). This inflamed urinary bladder might be applying pressure on the surrounding structures (eg. uterus, intestines, etc.). Due to this, you are experiencing difficulty in passing your bowels (poo).

As the only way to stop this would be to treat the infection (if present), you will have to visit a doctor and get your urine analysed. Once the infection is detected in your urine; the doctor will advise a course of antibiotics, pain management medication (which will take care of any pain and reduce inflammation) and a urine alkalizer (which will help in reducing the burning sensation while urinating).

In the meantime, please consume plenty of water and also cranberry juice (if available).

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Burning and pain in urinary tract. How to cure it? 9 minutes later
My latest urine did not show signs of infection though Dr?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 13 minutes later
Hello once again XXXXXXX

If I may ask, which test was conducted that reported a complete absence of an infection? Was it a urine dip test, a simple urine analysis or a urine culture and sensitivity investigation?

The next thing I would like to ask is whether you experienced a good response from the medication that was prescribed. At times individuals retain a few symptoms of the UTI, which is not normal and occurs due to either of the following reasons:
-Inadequate dose of antibiotics prescribed
-Inadequate duration of antibiotics prescribed
-Inappropriate antibiotic prescribed (which means the individual was resistant to the antibiotic prescribed)

In a normal case, an individual should experience a complete recovery, with no symptoms being retained.

Also have you been drinking sufficient amount of fluids? Dehydration can also sometimes cause a burning sensation in the urinary tract. Are you eating well? Please have a fiber-rich diet for a few days.

Awaiting your kind response. Do not worry, we shall find a solution to your problem soon.