Burning and cramping in ankle at night. What could cause this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
yes, I occasionally wake up in the middle of the night with ankle burning and cramping. The sensation slowly travels up the outer side of my leg. I usually have to get up and walk around the house for several minutes before it subsides. What could cause this?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 37 minutes later

Your symptoms are most likely due to nerve root compression caused by the herniated discs which sometimes gets aggravated by abnormal postures during sleep.
Sleeping supine without a pillow with two pillows under your knees will help in reducing the problem. You can also get some methylcobalamin prescribed from your orthopedician.
You need to have an MRI done to re evaluate the current status of your herniated discs. If the symptoms are persistent or get severe then epidural steroid injections might be needed.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.