Bumpy rash on body after vomiting and diarrhea. Food poisoning? Seek medical assistance?

I have a very bumpy rash on my arms one day after vomiting and diarrhea from what I assume was food poisoning. There are small red bumps and larger bumps that don't appear to have a color. I have rash on my torso also, but it appears more of a dark pink and uniform. I just want to know if I need to seek medical attention or if this is something that might resolve itself.

I am 32-year-old female, 5 feet 4 inches, and 172 pounds.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 9 hours later

You have provided me with good information. However, as I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:

1.Is there any itching present due to the rashes?
2.Did you come in contact with any plants like poison ivy?
3.What did you eat prior to getting vomiting and diarrhea?

You have a bumpy rash on your arms and red rashes on your torso after a bout of vomiting and diarrhea. It could most probably be due to viral causes. Food poisoning can cause vomiting , diarrhea and rashes too.

Treatment with Kaopectate 2 tsp twice a day will help you. Kaopectate is used to treat some types of nausea and vomiting, such as from gastroenteritis (also called “stomach flu”). It’s also used for upset stomach and as an antidiarrheal medication.Application of Benadryl cream to the rashes will relieve any itching if present.

If the rashes persist or develop into blisters or form crusts over them and if it is associated with fever , you will need to show it to a Dermatologist.

Other causes of the rash could be due to :
1.Shingles (chicken pox)-It is a painful skin rash with blisters in a limited area on one side of the body.It will also be associated with burning pain and itching .
2.Hives or "welts" are itchy, red bumps that come and go rapidly over six to eight hours on various parts of the body.
3.Heat rash is a skin irritation caused by excessive sweating during hot, humid weather.They look like a red cluster of pimples or small blisters. It is more likely to occur on the neck and upper chest, in the groin, under the breasts, and in elbow creases.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.