Bumpy growth in groin area. Had skin abrasions in the area before. What could it be?

i noticed a bump or growth in my groin area. not sure if there is a problem. I have had skin abrasions(after sex) in the area before, but this is not the same look.
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later

Thanks for your query

A bump or growth in the groin region can be of various causes. I would like to know more details to narrow down my possibilities. So please answer the following:
Since when are you have this growth?
Is there any associated pain or itching?
Any history of physical contact before the development of bump? Is yes, please specify the approximately how long ago was this contact.
Any history of any ulceration or discharge from the lesion?
History of similar lesions in the past?

Also it would be helpful if you can take some close up pictures of the affected area and upload them here on this page. You can also email them to YYYY@YYYY with subject heading as ref to Dr Geetika if you have any problems uploading the pictures.

What is important in your case is that we need to differentiate between a simple folliculitis and any STD. I am sure I would be able to help you more if you can tell me more in detail about the skin lesion and send me the pictures.

Waiting for your reply,

Dr Geetika Paul.
Follow-up: Bumpy growth in groin area. Had skin abrasions in the area before. What could it be? 1 hour later
I noticed the growth about 30 days ago (on the shaft of my penis). I originally thought it was a healing abrasion. but after looking closer, it was just a fleshy instead of like a scab. but it was in the same area as the previous abrasions.

there is no pain or itching.

no history of this in the past. there is no discharge or ulceration.

in regards to physical contact...just sex with girlfriend. she does not have a history of any bumps nor does she have any bumps present.

I will upload a picture for you to look at.

I will upload the pictures using the upload new reports option. I don't see another option. if I should use something else let me know.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 20 minutes later

Having seen the picture, I am afraid it looks like a viral wart.
These venereal warts present as skin colored growths and are usually symptomless.
There is no associated pain or itching.

Since you have it since a month, I would recommend that you should see a dermatologist or a general physician soon its adequate treatment and removal.
Regarding the treatment options available for the same, usually chemical cauterisation is the preferred modality of treatment but it has to be done in trained hands.
Viral warts are extermely slow growing lesions. Their incubation period also various from few weeks to upto 9 to 12 months or even more. This means that you might have got infected months back and the lesion has appeared now.
Sometimes checking for other STD's is also essential in patients who present with veneral warts which might be essential and you can be guided by your dermatologist. Also it is important to check for any silent lesions in your partner also.

hope it helps

Anything else bothering you, please let me know
Dr Geetika Paul