Bumps on vulva, specifically on inner tissue of labia minora. What are these & what caused them to appear?

Infertility Specialist

I am a 23 yr old female. I recently had a check up with a nurse practitioner. I noticed bumps located on on my vulva, specifically on the inner tissue of my labia minora. The practitioner simply stated that the bumps were a naturally occuring portion of my mucosa. However, I am not convinced and would like further clarification as to what they are..and what has caused them to suddenly appear.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Though normal skin tags can appear in the labia minora, to me the bumps you describe and seen are more likely to be symptoms of vulvovaginitis - inflammation or infection of vulva. It can be caused by bacteria, yeasts, viruses, and other parasitesinfections; as can various chemicals found in bubble baths, soaps, and perfumes. Environmental factors such as poor hygiene and allergens may also cause this condition.

Candida albicans, which causes yeast infections, is one of the most common causes of vulvovaginitis in women of all ages. If you had yeast infection earlier, you can try treatment with over-the-counter product such as candid creams.

However, if your symptoms do not completely disappear in about a week, contact your health care provider. Pelvic examination along with some relevant like wet preparation (microscopic evaluation of vaginal discharge) is warranted to identify a vaginal infection or overgrowth of yeast or bacteria. In some cases, a culture of the vaginal discharge may identify the organism causing the infection.

A biopsy of the irritated area on the vulva may be recommended if there are no signs of infection.

Do not worry. It does not look like a serious concern to me and can be treated. Treatment depends on what is causing the infection and that includes:

•Antibiotics taken by mouth or applied to the skin
•Antifungal cream
•Antibacterial cream
Cortisone cream
•Antihistamine, if the irritation is due to an allergic reaction
Estrogen cream, if the irritation and inflammation is due to low levels of estrogen

In the meantime, I also recommend the following.

1. Proper cleansing is important and may help prevent irritation, particularly in those with infections caused by bacteria normally found in stool. Sitz baths may be recommended.
2. Wear cotton underwear (rather than nylon) or underwear that has a cotton lining in the crotch area. This increases air flow and decreases moisture.

I hope I answered your question. I would be glad to amswer if you have any more queries. Please accept the answer if you have no queries.

Follow-up: Bumps on vulva, specifically on inner tissue of labia minora. What are these & what caused them to appear? 54 minutes later
At the time of my check up I had a full battery and came up negative for infections either bacterial or fungal. In addition I currently do not have any strange odors nor an irregular discharge. Since the last check up the bumps have become larger and more numerous. Should I start with an antibacterial cream or an antifungal? Or should I see my previous physician immediately? What other treatment options would you recommend based upon this knowledge?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 16 minutes later

Thanks for reverting back.

As the lesions are acute (appearing in a short time) and are increasing rapidly, it is important that we rule out infections. Though your initial set of test was negative, I feel your symptoms are most likely to be infection - possible that you may have contacted some infection following check up.

It is better that you contact the same physician and get evaluated.

The physician will prescribe appropriate antibiotic / antifungal medications after examining you.

I hope I answered your question. Please accept the answer if you have no queries.