Ask a Urologist   »  

Bumps on the shaft of the penis, sometimes itchy. Suggestion?

i have like 5 or 6 bumps on the shaft of my penis. they itch sometimes. it doesnt hurt when i pee. they came out of no where i havent had sex in 2 months. im overseas right now. im not circumsized could it be from skin irration.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Bumps on the male member are very common and the vast majority is not a cause for concern and is easily treated.

However, some can be and some are also contagious. As you have not been in a sexual relationship recently, then it has not been passed on.

Small shiny pink bumps on the glans may be Fordyce spots. They are small bright red or purple papules that can appear on the glans, shaft or scrotum and which usually affect younger men. They are painless and not itchy, but not sexually transmitted. They may bleed if injured or even during intercourse. They are not infectious and their cause is unknown.

Other common causes of multiple tiny nodules beneath the skin of the scrotum and at the base of the shaft of the penis are normal hair follicles.

Small dome-shaped or jagged bumps around the crown of the head (or glans) of the penis can also probably be pearly penile papules. They appear in about 10-20% of all men, and are likely more common in uncircumcised men than in circumcised men. Pearly penile papules (the medical name is "angiofibromas") are not infectious and require no treatment.

Keep the area, dry and clean. Use cotton underwear. You could use over-the-counter cream (Monistat) over the area once daily at night.

It is important not to scratch the lumps because they could become infected and cause further scarring.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries, if any.