Bumps on testicle,itchy,persistent.Calamine lotion?

Hi i have 3 small bumps, on my scrotum, on one side. I went to see my regular doc and he referred me to a dermatologist but i cant see them until late next week. Is it ok to put calamine lotion on my tisticles? I also have some pimple like bumps on my hands n fingers, smaller than the ones on my testicle but they all came around the same time. Its been about 4 weeks since they appeared. On my hands they come and go by the day but the testicle bumps havent gone away. They all itch sometimes.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Multiple small outgrowths on scrotum with occasional itching can be due to many reasons.The most common reasons can be-

1. Folliculitis - due to an infected hair follicle. Usually has pus inside and needs an antibiotic and anti inflammatory drug for treatment.

2. Sebaceous cyst- due to a blocked sebaceous gland. The secretions start collecting inside and becomes painful. Needs to be surgically removed if infected.

3. Genital warts- due to a viral infection. Some of the simple tests carried out by your dermatologist will confirm the diagnosis.

A thorough examination is a must for proper diagnosis and treatment.

The pimple like out break on your hands could be due to allergy to some food product or contact dermatitis.Maybe you would have changed soap,detergents etc..You can apply hydrocortisone cream to the area .

Till then you can take general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection in that area.There is no harm in putting a calamine lotion in that area to soothe the itching. You can also use 1% hydrocortisone cream available over the counter for symptomatic relief.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Bumps on testicle,itchy,persistent.Calamine lotion? 3 hours later
Is there anything i can try over the counter that might make them go away?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Any of the probable conditions from which you might be suffering is not treatable by OTC medicines. A proper diagnosis is a must to advise regarding the treatment.
If the nodules are due to genital warts then they might go away on their own without any treatment.
Wishing you an early recovery.