Bumps on neck. Could be acne. Hair growing out. Why has it remained for years?

Question
Hi. I have small bumps on my neck, which I believe are some kind of acne. The are not discolored, but sometimes turn into a pimple. When I look closely at them they all have little hairs coming out of them. The overall appearance looks like raw chicken skin. My skin is not loose. I also don't think it is dry. No itching, just not very attractive and looks like a much older person than 49. I have had it for several years. Any ideas?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Two possibilities which should be ruled out from your symptoms are:

1)     Folliculitis skin which is the inflammation of one or more hair follicles. The condition may occur anywhere on the skin.It starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle.

2)     Keratosis pilaris in which a protein in the skin called keratin forms hard plugs within hair follicles. It is characterized by Small bumps that look like "goose bumps" on the back and the skin feels like sand paper or chicken skin.

You can use creams containing alpha-hydroxy, lactic or salicylic acid or urea after consulting your dermatologist. Topical steroid creams like hydrocortisone or topical retonoids like Retin A are also useful but should be used under medical guidance. Moisturizing lotions to soothe the skin and help it look better are also helpful.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Bumps on neck. Could be acne. Hair growing out. Why has it remained for years? 2 hours later
The bumps that I have are only on the front of my neck. In the winter I wear turtleneck sweaters and have wondered if it was caused by these, however the condition does not improve in the summer when I have no clothing rubbing against my skin. The area where this occurs starts halfway down my neck and stops at the sides of my neck and is not on the back at all. Thank You.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 10 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me with the additional details.

From the symptom of these bumps not changing even when clothes are not rubbing against the skin makes the possibility of keratosis pilaris even more likely.

Keratosis pilaris occurs when the human body produces excess keratin, a natural protein in the skin. Treatment includes tretinoin or Triamcinolone cream or Adapalene, a retinoid medication. Exfoliation, intensive moisturizing creams, creams and lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids and urea may be used to temporarily improve the appearance and texture of affected skin. But all these treatment measures should be taken under medical supervision.