Bumps on labia, pus filled. Is it some kind of STD?

Mar 2013
I have some small bumps on my labia, that are kind of hard to the touch and have white pus- like stuff inside that is pretty thick...when I get one to finally "pop". It's kind of like a "seed" of pus comes out...but is not completely solid like a seed, but like pus that has just turned hard, like a white head maybe. Most of the time, they are dormant. But, every once in a while, one will finally "fester" up and finally "pop" and then go away. It's at that time that kind of look more like a pimple...and feel sore like a pimple would...until it pops. What could this be??? Is it some kind of STD??? I had one nurse practitioner look at them, and all she said was, "they look like they could pop- so you might try to pop them. But, they are benign- nothing to worry about XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 25 minutes later

There could be a number of reasons for the small bumps that you describe . It is difficult to arrive at a specific diagnosis without looking at them.

Sebaceous Cysts - A sebaceous cyst develops due to inflamed hair follicles and clogged sweat glands. What you describe mostly sounds like sebaceous cysts , however it is extremely unwise to " pop " them, as you run the risk of infecting the cysts, which could lead to complications.
Genital Herpes - White bumps on the vagina are also a sign of genital herpes. If the bumps are sore and cause a burning sensation, higher chances of herpes are there.
Vaginal Infections - There are cases where white bumps on the vagina are caused by an infection either viral or bacterial. These bumps are small and white in color.
HPV - The Human Papilloma Virus or HPV is another type of sexually transmitted disease. Along with white bumps on the vagina, symptoms of HPV include genital warts.
Bartholin Cysts - If you discover a white pimple on your vagina it may be due to a condition known as Bartholin's cyst. Bartholin's cysts can vary in size from tiny to large and may be painful depending on where it is located in the genital area. Blocked Bartholin glands lead to a build up of fluid and a cyst or bump forms.

Other causes of white bumps on the vagina include excessive sweating, hormonal changes caused by your menstrual cycle or pregnancy, or even simple friction.

Before deciding on the correct course of treatment for tiny white bumps on the vagina it is important to consult a Gynecologist and have exact diagnosis and rule out STDs. Please do not meddle with them on your own.
Do not use any over-the-counter creams or home remedies before consulting with your doctor.

Meanwhile, a few pointers :

Do not wear underwear made of synthetic material as this encourages sweating and may cause allergic skin reactions.
Clean the genital area well and wipe dry. Regular exfoliation of the area may also help prevent clogged sweat glands and inflamed hair follicles.
If your bumps are painful or oozing a liquid, avoid sexual intercourse until you are given a go ahead from your doctor.
Never pop or squeeze a bump as this can cause an infection.
In some cases, bumps caused by sebaceous cysts may require surgery or a simple drainage procedure as part of the treatment.
Use a gentle, anti-allergic detergent for your clothes and underwear as this could aggravate the condition as well. Moreover, after washing the underwear through the regular procedure, it is best to rinse it with a solution made of tea tree oil and warm water, just to kill any germs that may be present.
Stay away from products such as soaps, bubble baths and lotions that are scented or contain harsh chemicals.

Take care, and feel free to ask any further questions.
Follow-up: Bumps on labia, pus filled. Is it some kind of STD? 9 hours later
What would you recommend I exfoliate with? I don't believe I have any of the bumps in or around the vaginal area...just on the labia (labia minora mostly, maybe one or two on the labia majora). Does the pharmacy or someone carry a special exfoliation for that area?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
I would not recommend exfoliation at all, without consulting a gynecologist and making sure of the diagnosis.
I repeatedly urged you not to meddle with the lesions, until you have consulted a doctor.
Follow-up: Bumps on labia, pus filled. Is it some kind of STD? 34 minutes later
Okay, thank you!
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 hours later
Take care, XXXXXXX !
You are welcome to get back anytime you feel so.