Bumps on inner thighs, inflamed, hard, spreading. Exposed to someone having MRSA. History of diabetes. Cause of concern?

I am a 52 yr old female with type 2 diabetes. Yesterday I noticed a small pimple like bump on my inner thigh. Overnight it became extremely inflamed, hard, warm to the touch, and has spread to an area about 6" in diameter. I have recently been exposed to someone with MRSA. Should I be concerned?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 2 hours later

Thank you for posting the query.

The symptoms that you are suffering point to a Carbuncle.

Yes, MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococci Aureus) is a known cause of Carbuncle especially in Diabetics. But many other bacteria can cause the same symptoms as well.

It would be great if you could get yourself evaluated by a Doctor who would do your blood tests as well as a swab culture of pus to find the actual cause of the infection.

My suggestions are as follows:

1. Get the following investigations done: CBC (Complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), Swab culture of the pus, fasting and post prandial blood sugars, HbA1C (glycosylated Hemoglobin).

2. You will need to be on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs to clear the infection.

3. You might need to get a surgical drainage of the area if it is pus filled.

Please visit your doctor who would start you on correct medication at the earliest.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr Gowri