Bumps on back and shoulder. Taken Nystatin. What do you think it could be?

Hi Dr,

8/1/2012 I had sex it was protected sex with an individual but since then I have been having a lot of issues it first started with bumps on my back and shoulder my personal Dr took a sample and it came back as a Staph Infection and gave me SMZ TMP which worked to stop it, However they still have not healed completely they turned into darker brown or black bumps...While on SMZ TMP I got a oral thrush ( pic is here¤t=0000e84.jpg ) which is still there after I finished SMZ TMP so she gave me Nystatin and I've been on that for almost a week but now I have white spots on my tonsils ( pic is here¤t=765f6acd.jpg )... I tested negative on 8/13/2012 but however I keep having symptoms of what appears to be ARS or Acute HIV Infection minus a fever, flu symptons, at least right now my lymph nodes aren't swollen to my knowledge...What do you think it could be?
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
As far as the bumps on the back are concerned, I think you got the right treatment and they would usually turn a shade darker before they completely heal. The white spots on the tonsils could be due to a Streptococcal infection, but that would need to be confirmed by a throat swab that your physician would have to take. It is extremely unlikely that your symptoms are due to HIV as such frequent infections would only be seen in the later stages of the diseases and even if you were HIV positive, the condition would not have progressed so rapidly.
As to why this is occurring, I believe anti-bacterials like TMP SMZ predispose you to opportunistic infections like Thrush. The white spots ( probably Strep) could be just coincidental.
As far as the HIV testing is concerned, I would like to know which test was done before I can comment on how accurate it is. Generally, the ELISA test which looks for antibodies is done and it should be done atleast 3 weeks after exposure. A negative result needs to be confirmed by a repeat test at 3 months and then at 6 months.
Hope that helps
Follow-up: Bumps on back and shoulder. Taken Nystatin. What do you think it could be? 2 minutes later
Thanks Dr and the test was a rapid blood test they took blood from my finger and about 10 mins later gave me a negative result this was on 8/13/2012
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 12 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
A negative rapid test must be followed by a confirmatory test. So I would suggest that you get a proper ELISA test done at a local lab in about 3 weeks from now. A negative test can put aside all doubts of HIV.