Ask a Dentist   »  

Bumps in purple, look like blood blisters on tongue. No pain. What are they?

Dentist, Pedodontics
i have found a small purple bump (looks like a teeny blood blister) at the base of my lingual frenulum - it's very very small and i only saw it when i stuck my tongue out to look at it with my new magnifying mirror. i see that there are also a couple of other teensy purple spots on the floor of my mouth - and i am wondering if this is something i should be worried about? no pain. no discomfort.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 10 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Since you do not have any pain or sore at the spot, the "small purple bump" that you describe is probably the opening of submandibular salivary gland duct. The duct discharges mucous secretion from the gland into the oral cavity as and when required.

So don't worry about this. It is a normal anatomical structure present to all human being.

Hope this answer is helpful to you. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries. Yet should you have any further concerns, I will be available to guide you further.