Bumped head and noticed swollen eyelid. Is this an infection or blood clot?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Today is Tuesday. I fell on Saturday and bumped my head pretty bad. Yesterday morning I woke up and my upper eyelid was swollen. The swelling went down during the day. This morning I woke up and my eye again swollen but now there is a pinkish bruise on my upper eyelid. I do wear contacts although I haven't since Saturday. Infection? Blood clot?
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
You seem to have suffered from scalp hematoma due to the fall.
In this condition, bleeding takes place under the skin (outside brain and skull) due to the impact on head.
Over time, it leads to pain and swelling, which reduce over time. As the time passes, swelling due to blood clot reduces and color changes.
As the skin around the eyes are loose and vascular, the discoloration is seen mostly around the eyes.
There is no need to worry at this stage and it would settle down on its own.
At present, you may take analgesics such as diclofenac or ibuprofen if you have pain.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist