Bump over the pubic area, itchy and pus filled. Chances of STD?

Dermatologist
Question
Good Evening Doctor,
I just came across a bump or pimple around my pubic area near where the penis begins but not on it. It itched a little bit and a bit of puss came out but now I don't feel too much. I had protected sex about a week ago so I'm not really sure what to think. I have trimmed the pubic hair before but it hasn't been for months and there is a hair or 2 growing out of it on the side. What do you think it could be and what I should expect? thank you
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 3 hours later

thanks for writing in.

A bump over the pubic area could be a folliculitis or infections like warts or molluscum contagiosum.

It could also be a simple cyst or milia.

If you could attach a picture of the lesion, I can be sure of what you have and will suggest you the various treatment options.

You may upload the pic using the "upload your reports" feature on the left hand side of the query page,

Awaiting your response

Thanks

Follow-up: Bump over the pubic area, itchy and pus filled. Chances of STD? 1 hour later
I just uploaded an image. Please let me know if this is curable or if its not thank you.

Thanks for sharing the pic.

This is folliculitis.
You may use Bactroban cream twice daily for 10 days.

This will go.

It is a mild bacterial infection of the hair follicle. Can be easily take care of.

Nothing to be worried about.

Please keep me posted about the progress

Thanks

Follow-up: Bump over the pubic area, itchy and pus filled. Chances of STD? 2 hours later
Thank you doctor!
Do I need a prescription for this or is it over the counter? what would be a good substitute if its not over the counter?
I used Neosporin since it is what is available to me and I will see how that works, thank you again.

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 15 hours later
Neosporin is OK. However Bactroban would be better.
But nevermind, Use neosporin for 7 days and revert.

Thanks

Follow-up: Bump over the pubic area, itchy and pus filled. Chances of STD? 12 days later
Good Evening Doctor,

I attached 2 new photos to show the status. I used Neosporin for the 1st four days and it didn't really improve. I was able to acquire mupirocin cream which worked better and used that for about 7 days and stopped using it this past Saturday. As you can see it's not to red anymore but it's still there and I was wondering if I should keep using the mupirocin cream until it's completely gone or just keep maintaining good hygiene which I have dramatically improved as well and let it out disappear on it's own. It doesn't itch as much anymore and I have just mild itches. Would it also be safe to engage in sexual intercourse or should I wait until it's completely gone? Thank you doctor.

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 1 hour later

It looks a lot better now.

Continuing with mupirocin till it heals completely is a better choice.

I do not see any reason to refrain yourself from sexual activities.

Maintaining proper hygiene is of utmost importance.

I think the lesion will disappear in another week or so.

Thanks