Bump outside vagina, boil, pus. Treatment?

I'm 30 and am sexually active. I keep getting a bump on the outside of my vagina, it looks like a boil usually on the sides. Lump would come and stay a couple days, burst by it self and this smelly pus thing comes out. it hurts a lot when its not burst but the pain cease when it is burst. but the smell is terrible...reminds me of orange peel. I don't know what it is but it usually comes more ofthen than not after my period is finished.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
From your symptoms it seems that you are having recurrent folliculitis - infection of the hair follicles.The smelly pus indicates anaerobic infection. For recurrent infection it is best to get a pus culture and sensitivity done and then start right antibiotic treatment in combination with secnidazole under the guidance of your Gynaecologist.

Next you must consider getting your blood glucose levels checked- both fasting and post - prandial as recurrent infections are commonly associated with diabetes.

Some general measures that need to be taken include-
1.Wear cotton undergarments.
2.Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful to decrease pain and inflammation.
3.Avoid douching or using feminine products.
4. Change sanitary napkins more frequently during periods to avoid infection.
5. Avoid shaving the area if you are.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.