Bump on top of the head, cyst, headache, X-ray done, cyst not connected to bone. Treatment ?

Oncologist
Question
I have a bump on the top of my head near the vertex that I first noticed one week ago. It feels like bone. I went to the clinic today and he said I have a cyst, and had me do a head xray to see if it was connected to the bone (I do not know what he means by this). The doctor then looked at the xray and said it wasnt connected to the bone and not to worry. He told me to follow up with my family doctor. The earliest appointment I have is in a month. Today, for the first time, I do seem to be having a slight headache there (or some pressure) but I am not sure because I do not think I have had a headache before? I did hit my head two weeks ago. Can you tell me if I should be worried? Any idea what it could be?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 38 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

First of all let me reassure you that I am quite confident that you are not dealing with any type of XXXXXXX or life-threatening or malignant type of problem.

It is very common for tiny cysts to form on the body from time to time. Common areas include arms and legs and sometimes the scalp. The most common cause of one of these tiny rolls is an infected or inflamed hair follicle.

Sometimes however cyst may form which can become fluid filled. These cysts tend to be more persistent and may remain for many months or perhaps even years. I am glad you had an x-ray performed which rules out any type of solid component of the cyst including bone. Your doctor wanted to make sure that the bone was not involved in the cyst and that there was no evidence of disruption or destruction of the bone of your scalp.

I think your headache is not related and is most likely a call when students with what you're dealing with otherwise. For your headache I would recommend you try taking some Tylenol or Advil to see if this relieves some of the symptoms. Regarding your main concern I would recommend that for now you just observe. I would not try to scratch or touch the area for the time being. You might also consider applying some warm compresses to the area as well. In the meantime please make an appointment with your response to be helpful informative and reassuring. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga