Ask a Dentist   »  

Bump on tongue, swollen gums. Have acid reflux. Taking probiotic pills. What could this be?

Last nite out of the blue I felt a strange bump (like an ulcer but a bit larger) with my tongue on the bottom of my front jaw. And in combination all of my top and lower gums felt numb and maybe a bit swollen. I assumed since it came on suddenly that it would pass but this morning the sensation has not gone away so now I am nervous.
It happened soon after I ate dinner (chicken broth over noodles, hard pretzels, XXXXXXX juice). This has been the first time I was able to eat a 'normal' dinner since having a bad acid reflux with painful acid-feeling vomiting episode at the beginning of the week after a few heavy nites of drinking. I'm not sure if the 2 are related since my mouth didn't feel this way until suddenly last nite (also last nite I had no stomach issues).

The only other thing that changed recently in my diet is that the other day I started taking pro-biotic pills, digestive enzyme pills, and milk thistle to help with my stomach.

Other pills I always take are: vitamins, omeprazole, protein shake in the morning
I generally in good health and exercise regularly.

What could this be? Mouth burns from dinner? Some sort of parasite?

Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 48 minutes later

I would be glad to answer your query.

First, I would like to inform you that the ulcer which has formed will resolve completely as you are taking a healthy diet. You need not worry; this is not any infection.

Mouth ulcers are related to stomach problems and dietary deficiencies. But as you are now taking pro-biotic, enzymatic pills as well as multivitamins, the ulcer will subside soon,

I advise you to avoid spicy food for 3-5 days (until ulcer subsides).
If in case, ulcer hurts, kindly visit your concerned doctor, he/she will prescribe you a topical medicament.

Also, you can use an antibacterial mouth wash (betadine) twice/day.

I hope I answered you query,

Just eat healthy and you will be fine soon,

I wish you good health; if you have any more questions, I would be happy to help you.

Follow-up: Bump on tongue, swollen gums. Have acid reflux. Taking probiotic pills. What could this be? 25 minutes later
Can the swelling/numbness type feeling in my gums be related to the stomach problems and diet as well? Thanks. -Bill
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later
no, these symptoms are not at all related to stomach or dietary problems, In fact these are associated with the ulcer itself, but if in case these symptoms persist beyond 5 days then kindly visit your dentist okay.
i wish you good health,
take care,