Bump on the scalp with sprouting tissues. What could it be?

Hello, my son has a strange bump on his scalp with several sprouting tissues out of it. It is on the back of his head. Just one bump. What could that be
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

I would be in a better positing to answer your query, if you could provide me the following details like:
How old is your son?
Whether the lump is painful or not
Whether it is freely movable or fixed?
Did he have an injury?
Is there any skin colour change over the lump?

Based on your current description, I feel the lump could be a cyst; most common is sebaceous cyst with cheesy material inside. It is usually not painful until and unless it is infected.

A clear picture of the bump can be very useful to me to rule out other possibilities. I wish you to send a clear picture of the bump. You can attach the photo using the upload option available here. Yet, I do encourage you to visit a surgeon who after focal examination may be able to identify the condition and treat it.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Bump on the scalp with sprouting tissues. What could it be? 21 hours later
1. My son is 17
2. It bump hurts when it is touched
3. It is fixed to th scalp. It has a look of a coral or sprouts.
4. He did not have a injury. But I do wonder if he got something from the barber. He is a black male and has a very low hai cut.
5. The color of the bump I white. It is not very big but looks like a big pimp with sprouts coming from it.

I am going to continue to get you a picture.
Thanks for reverting back.
Given the history, a few possibilities arise:
a.     A lump caused by a razor
b.     A lipoma
c.     A sebaceous cyst
d.     Simple occipital protuberance
As I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient better, I would like to know the colour of the sprouts. If yellowish, they indicate an infection. If cheesy and white, they indicate a sebaceous cyst.
I would suggest that you send me a picture so that I can help you further. I would also suggest that you get it evaluated by a physician who can then prescribe appropriate therapy.

Awaiting your reply

I hope I have answered your query.