Ask a Dentist   »  

Bump on roof of mouth, popped bump, looks like blood blister. Should I go to a doctor?

I was eating tortilla chips last night & it felt like a piece of chip got stuck in roof of my mouth. I took my finger and moved it away. Then a tiny bump form which I popped...then I felt a very large bump form and I went to look in mirror and it looks like a blood blister size of the tip of your pinky finger. Should I go to a Dr. or Dentist to pop or will it go away? Is it ok to listerine?
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX forum AAAA
I would be glad to answer your query, according to the dental history provided by you i would like to inform you that there is nothing to worry about, tortilla chips have a sharp edge, which caused trauma to your soft tissue, and as a normal defense mechanism of our body, a blister like swelling developed on the palate.
I advise you to avoid picking or even popping it, it will heal on its own, ideally within 5-7 days the swelling will disappear completely.
But,if its hurting you then you may have to see your dentist, as he/she will prescribe you a topical gel.
also, you can use listerine (twice/day),
even warm saline rinses(3-4 times/day) will relieve symptoms if present.
i hope i answered your query,
if you have any more questions ,kindly post them.
i wish you good health,
take care.