Bump on right labia, goes away after periods. What could it be?

A week before I started my period this month I felt a small bump on my right labia. It usually goes away right after my period. I have my period now but it doesn't seem to be getting smaller. What could it be?
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The causes for a small lump underneath the skin of the labia Majora which increases and decreases could be one of the following:-

1. Bartholin's Cyst - Is located midway of the labia, and protrudes into the vagina and if large causes discomfort during sexual intercourse.

Bartholin's cyst is formed when a Bartholin's gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop. Bartholin's cyst is not an infection, although it can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment) to the Bartholin's ducts (tubes which lead from the glands to the vulva).

If infection sets in, the result is a Bartholin's abscess. If the infection is severe or repeated a surgical procedure known as marsupialization may be required to stop further recurrences.

2. Infected hair follicles - can form small absesses, which can cause a small swelling, but they are associated with redness and throbbing pain.

Proper diagnosis requires a proper physical examination of the swelling in question. You might consult a gynaecologist who can examine and then decide on the appropriate treatment.
Meanwhile you can do a hot fomentation in the area for symptomatic relief.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.