Ask a Urologist   »  

Bump on penis head. Worried about genital warts and HPV

I am very afraid that i may have genital warts hpv. There has been this little bump on my penis head for as long as i can remember, sometimes it looks like there is more of them, and sometimes less. This one always seems to be there.. Is it a wart? The bump that is in the middle, right at the end of the penis head before the shaft starts? Im so scared i wont be able to live a normal life. Please help.
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 29 minutes later

I will try to answer your query to the best of my knowledge.

Firstly, I would like to mention that there is nothing to worry about the condition you mention. I have gone through the pictures uploaded and there are no lesions like genital warts or anything that you should be worried about.

Some normal lesion that might occur in some people in the penile region may be:
1) Fordyce’s spots: small, raised, yellowish-white spots, size 1–2 mm which again are common and not infectious.
2) Sebaceous prominences: raised bumps similar to Fordyce's spots on the shaft of the penis, located at the sebaceous glands and are normal.
3) Pearly penile papules: raised bumps of somewhat paler color around the base (sulcus) of the glans which typically develop in men aged 20 to 40. Around 10% of all men are affected. They may be mistaken for warts, but are not harmful or infectious and require no treatment.

I only see sebaceous prominence in the pictures and as you say, you might also see few more sometimes, which are normal as mentioned. So there is nothing to worry about the above .

I hope you find the above information helpful

I will be happy to assist you in any further queries that you may have.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Bump on penis head. Worried about genital warts and HPV 7 minutes later
Can any of those conditions happen on tje actual head of the penis? Or just underneath/shaft?
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 31 minutes later

Thanks for following up

Fordyce spots occur usually along the shaft of the penis, around the base of the penis or on the testicles. Rarely, they can occur on the head of the penis, in which case they are called Tyson’s Glands. There is no urgent medical reason to seek treatment.

Sebaceous prominences are very similar to Fordyce spots.

Pearly penile papules occur on the base of the glans around the sulcus (in the head).

I will be glad to answer any further query that you have.

Follow-up: Bump on penis head. Worried about genital warts and HPV 3 days later
There is also a red looking growth near the back of my throat. You can see it in some of these pocturea. It is like behind the tonsil on that area. I am very concerned this is oral hpv. Or cancer causes by oral hpv. Also, i have little white bumps on my upper lip, that you only see when you stretch it out. Online ive read that these are oral hpv .
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 46 minutes later

Thanks for following up.

I have seen the picture of the growth you mention in the back of your throat. Examination of new growth in the mouth / throat area should be done under magnification to observe any surface changes in it. So, my suggestion would be to visit an orolaryngologist to get yourself examined about the same. In most cases HPV is a self limited infection; so an examination will help you relieve any unnecessary anxiety.

It is important to follow safe sex practices for both oral and vaginal sex. This should include avoidance of multiple partners and using condoms. Reducing tobacco and alcohol helps reduce oral HPV and related carcinoma.

In the lips, the lesions may be Fordyce spots. They are small (around 1–2mm in diameter) yellow-white spots in the oral area. These usually appear around puberty are persistent throughout life. They are benign and do not require treatment in most cases.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you do not have any further queries, you may close this and rate the answer.

Wishing you good health,

Follow-up: Bump on penis head. Worried about genital warts and HPV 30 hours later
Hello again,

I also noticed this bump a while ago between my bum cheeks. I thought it was a pimple, or ingrown hair, or boil, so i tried to pop it. Now i am comvinced it is a genital wart. Is there any other thing this could be? Or is it a definite Genital Wart in this area?

Also i have a bad stuffy nose and a lot of phlem in my throat, and i read that this could cause the bump im seejng at the back of my throat and it could just be an irratation. Is that possible? Or is it definetly a wart, and possibly a wart leading to oral cancers.

And for the coating on tongue? And this little bumps i have on the underside of my tongue? Im guessig definite HPV?

Please help. Extremely anxious and worried having serious panoc attacks .
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 43 minutes later

I have gone through all the pictures you have uploaded.

First, about the bump in your hip region. It looks like a folliculitis. It might have been cause by an in-growing hair, common in the same area.
Although, like I mentioned earlier, closer surface changes should be observed for before ruling out other diagnosis completely. But on inspection in the photograph, it points in favor of a follicuitis and not viral wart.

Stuffy nose should not be related to the growth on your throat. The size of the growth is too small to cause any similar symptoms. Might cause some throat irritation due to its presence, especially since you are aware that a growth is now there.

Tongue surface and underside has multiple normal growths. Several people have some of these normally. You can look into pictures of the surface of the tongue on the internet to convince yourself.

A closer look under magnification will provide a definite answer as to whether there is any growth for us to worry about. I would suggest that you visit an otolaryngologist for examination and do not worry unnecessarily.
Even if there is a wart /HPV infection in a person, it does not mean that it has to be cancerous .There are methods of eradication of the same and a timely management will help you achieve it as well!

Best wishes,
Follow-up: Bump on penis head. Worried about genital warts and HPV 15 hours later
Thank you so much for dealing with me. I just have one more question for you.

How likely is it for a person with genital warts to have just one small one on the penis head, and then one large one way over on the inner buttcheek? And how likely is it that the two dont look like each other at all? Is that common for genital warts?
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 10 minutes later

I do not think it is much likely. It is uncommon for genital warts to have the above appearances and presentations.

Please do not worry. Just confirm all diagnoses by visiting a physician and you will not be unnecessarily concerned!

Best Wishes,