Bump on penis. Could be ulcer. Is it yeast infection? Can it be herpes, gonorrhea? Help?

Dermatologist
Question
Question also in medical history. I have an (ulcer?) on the shaft of my penis. I have gotten similar looking (ulcers?) 1-2 a year for 2 years...but lately they are more frequent. When I first started getting them I had 3 doctors all tell me it was a yest infection. But anti-fungal cream never helps. I'm starting to think they could have been wrong. I was tested 2 years ago for HIV, Herpes, Gonorrhea, Hepititus....etc. Everything except HPV (can't test in males), and Trichomoniasis.

Is it possible my doctors were wrong? I am worried I have had the same gf for 2 years and I don't want this to mess it up she has seen them but I am not comfortable with them coming back...yest infections wouldn't be chronic right?

Thanks for your help.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

The ulcer that you have described can occur in herpes simplex infection.

As I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
• Did you have a similar problem in the past?How many times you have got it ?
• Does the lesion ihave pain? If yes, how severe is it?
• Do you have any history of oral lesions?oral ulcers?
• Do you have any other known allergies/food/drug sensitivity?
• Do you have fever /sore throat /joint pain /swollen glands in groin /any other symptoms?
• Any eye complaints in life?
Any history of sexual intercourse?protected/unprotected?
Any history of similar complaints in your partner?
Have you been tested for herpes antibodies?
Do the lesions heal on their own?

Please reply to the above questions to help you further.
More Photographs of skin lesions (close up, distant and lateral) in good light can be helpful.

Awaiting your response.
Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: Bump on penis. Could be ulcer. Is it yeast infection? Can it be herpes, gonorrhea? Help? 4 hours later
My last test was Summer 2010 and I tested positive for Herpes Simplex Type 1 but negative for Herpes Simplex Type 2, as well as everything else as I described in my initial question.

It happened for the first time about a month after I started dating my current GF, early Summer 2010. That is when I got tested and saw 2 doctors and asked one on a similar sight.

Doctors told me it was a yest infection and it went away in about 3 weeks. The next time I got one was about a year later the next summer. I figured it was another yest infection and it went away in 3-4 weeks. Then the next one I got was last December (about 6 months later). Same deal...about 3-4 weeks. Then another one now (2 months later). This is why I do not believe it is a yest infection.

They are about 1cm in diameter. This is the first one that has not been on the head of my penis (either the base of the head or the tip).

They have never had any pain associated with them, I don't even feel them unless I touch them. They lightly scab/flake which usually falls off 1-2 days in the shower and such.

No allergies/drug sensitivity that I am aware of. No eye infections or problems either.

I get strep throat fairly often but that has been since I was a child.

I have had canker sores in the inside of my mouth since I was younger, but not often. I was never sure if that was why I tested positive for Herpes Complex Type 1. The doctor told me that it wasn't herpes because it would spread and have pain associated with it.

Thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for providing the additional details.

It looks like you haven’t answered few of my questions. Please answer the following for better understanding of your problem.

Do you have fever /sore throat /joint pain /swollen glands in groin /any other symptoms?
Any eye problems in the past?
Were you involved in sexual intercourse - protected/unprotected in the past?

The Lesions you are describing can be of either herpes infection or apthous ulcers of genital lesions. It is unlikely to be due to yeast infection.

Recurrent herpes of genitals does not have pain associated with it.

Another possibility can be of Behcets disease in which recurrent oral and genital ulcerations occur they are also painless.

A physical examination by a dermatologist and few laboratory tests would be needed to narrow down the possibilities.

The tests for HSV 1 and 2 IgG, IgM need to be performed along with complete blood counts, Haemogram, ESR, etc would be needed.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Dr Sudarshan.

Follow-up: Bump on penis. Could be ulcer. Is it yeast infection? Can it be herpes, gonorrhea? Help? 1 hour later
Thank you for the quick reply.

No fever/sore throat/etc.

No eye problems.

I have had sex both protected and unprotected before I was with my current girlfriend. Not since...just her.

Yes occasionally she complains it hurts when we have sex. It takes a few days for her to get better. We thought it was because I am pretty endowed and sometimes it gets rough in bed. (~9" and thick).

But lately (in the past 6 months) she has been 5-10 days late on her period a few times...we weren't sure what to make of it.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 14 hours later
HI XXXXXXX,

As of now after co relating your history and clinical features it can be genital apthous ulcers, a comparatively benign condition.

Still my advise to you would be to undergo a physical examination and lab tests to confirm the diagnosis and definative treatment of this condition.

Hope I answered all your questions. If you do not have any more queries, please close this discussion.

Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: Bump on penis. Could be ulcer. Is it yeast infection? Can it be herpes, gonorrhea? Help? 7 hours later
Ok I uploaded a close up hope that helps.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for uploading the photograph.
After having a good look, I still think it's apthous ulceration and you should get it examined by a physician. Further laboratory tests may be needed to confirm the cause and the treatment can be planned accordingly.
Wishing you a rapid recovery.
Dr Sudarshan.