Bump on neck, cold and cough, blood work normal. Inflamed lymph node ?

General Surgeon
Question
Hello...I have a bump on my neck right where the side (my right side) of my neck and the back of my neck connect. It actually feels a bit like a vein as I can feel where it seem to start and then curves a bit and almost goes back into my neck. I push on it and with just a bit of pressure there seems to be no bump anymore...I release it and there it is again. I had a cold about three to four weeks ago and a cough since that is getting better. Recently had blood work for life insurance and nothing red flagged on that (got preferred rates). I am just wondering if this is just an inflamed gland/lymph node, if everyone had this type of bump, or if it is something to worry about. Any thoughts?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 5 hours later
Hello

Bump or lump or swelling in the lower parts of neck can be due to many reasons. As there are many lymph nodes in the neck ,so first possibility comes to one mind is enlarged lymph node ( which can again be due to many reasons like infection,tuberculosis ,lymphoma extra). Enlarged lymph nodes is not the sole reason for bump in the lower part of neck (which disappear on pressure & reappear on release of pressure). Lipoma is another very common, benign condition which is quite commonly seen. In lipoma all the blood test remain with in normal limit. Yes these can appear enlarged in normal people but that should not stop you get an evaluation.

To reach the exact diagnosis ,you are advised to consult some local physician & get it investigated. There don`t appear to be any cause for worry most time.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”

Follow-up: Bump on neck, cold and cough, blood work normal. Inflamed lymph node ? 10 hours later
Thank you for your response. The bump is actually about a half inch to and inch below the bottom of my skull. I also notice is relax's or shrinks a bit (doesn't seem as noticable anyway) after I take a shower or am physically active. Not sure if this is helpful but I wanted to add to my initial description. I look forward to hearing anything additional this information might provide.

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 41 minutes later

Thanks for getting back to me.

Bump at the posterior aspect of neck 1/2 -1 inch below the junction of skull & neck,which appear & disappear can be due to many reasons , depending upon its consistency (i.e. soft, cystic , or hard) . Swelling or bump under the muscle protrudes while doing hard work & shrinks while relaxed.So evaluation and investigation of bump for diagnostic and treatment purpose is indicated.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.