Bump on my scalp that is fluid filled, seems to get bigger. What can it be?

I have a bump on my scalp that feels like it has liquid in it, I have noticed it in young adulthood. I went to a doctor about 10 years ago and was told it was something that I can't remember, he asked if I wanted him to pop it, I said no.Now I am scared to death, it seems to be getting bigger. What could this be?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later

The commonest cause by far for a bump on your scalp is something called a sebaceous cyst. They do tend to get bigger over the years as they fill up with a fatty liquid called sebum. They are always benign and do not become nasty or cancerous. You need have no worries on that front.

The only reason you might want to get rid of it would be because it's bothering you, your comb or brush is getting caught in it, it's unsightly or its become infected -- which can happen occasionally.

If you do decide to have it off it's not a question of just "popping" it. It can be done under local anaesthetic but needs to be carefully excised making sure that all the lining of the cyst is removed along with the cyst itself. This needs an experienced pair of hands so choose carefully.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully, please accept them if you are satisfied.