Bump on left glans, rough, protected sex. Ideas?

Dermatologist
Question
I am a 52 yr old male, good health. About 10 days ago a small, @ 8mm, bump appeared on the left top glans. It did not hurt, itch or discharge. No blister. It is now about 1/2 its original size but is not shrinking any longer. It has a rough feel. I had protected sex @ 8 month ago with a stranger. Ideas?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 13 hours later

Thank you for the query.

A bump, which is rough and has shrunk to its half size without any treatment, leaves me with a few possibilities.

I suppose that you did not have any other symptoms like fever, joint pain, tenderness over the lesion or any discharge from the lesion etc. If so, kindly let me know.

It probably suggests to me like a viral wart (since you had a contact few months back with a stranger).

A wart can even shrink without treatment if your immunity is good. But then you would need to go for either a electro-cautry or a laser ablation for complete removal.

If you can send me a picture of the lesion ,then I would be able to help you further on this.

You can send in the picture at YYYY@YYYY . Please also mention my name ""ATTN Dr.Bharat Chawda" as a subject & also please reply to this post saying that you have mailed the picture.

Kindly reply me with the answers & pictures as this would help me in suggesting you better.

Dr.Bharat Chawda

Follow-up: Bump on left glans, rough, protected sex. Ideas? 5 hours later
I have sent you the pictures you requested.
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later
Hi!,

Thank you again..

With the picture which you had send it doesn't seems to be a wart as I suspected earlier. Instead it just seems to be boil and this should respond to any good antibiotic like macrolides.
But since you had an exposure (even though protected) 8 months back ,I would suggest that you get yourself properly investigated also.This is just to be on the safer side.

The investigation which I would suggest are VDRL & TPHA to rule out syphilis (in which we get a painless ulcer on glans).
As a screening test I would also suggest a HIV-ELISA (this should be repeated after 3 months again irrespective of what it comes).
Since you don't have any discharge or ulcer formation from the lesion I am not accounting any other STDs at present.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.

regards,
Dr.Bharat Chawda

Follow-up: Bump on left glans, rough, protected sex. Ideas? 45 hours later
Already had the tests. See below. Does this change anything you have already told me? Thanks
Test (Req #0000) Value Range Result Test Date Results Date
Chlamydia Negative Negative Negative 07/05/2011 07/06/2011
Hepatitis B Negative Negative Negative 07/05/2011 07/06/2011
Hepatitis C <0.1 0.0-0.9 Negative 07/05/2011 07/06/2011
Gonorrhea Negative Negative Negative 07/05/2011 07/06/2011
Herpes Simplex Virus Type I 1.66 0.00-0.90 Positive 07/05/2011 07/06/2011
Herpes Simplex Virus Type II <0.90 0.00-0.90 Negative 07/05/2011 07/06/2011
HIV-1 Antibody <1.00 <1.00 Negative 07/05/2011 07/06/2011
HIV 1/O/2 Abs, Qual Non Reactive Non Reactive Negative 07/05/2011 07/06/2011
Syphilis Non Reactive Non Reactive Negative 07/05/2011 07/06/2011

Please Note: To protect your privacy results expire 90 days after the release date.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later
Hi

Thank you for posting the reports.

All your reports seems to be normal. So the possibility of it being just a boil or a furuncle still stands good.

I suppose that antibiotic should help you in this.

Kindly consult a dermatologist for proper prescription.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health

Dr.Bharat chawda