Bump on knee when bending it, x-ray showed inflammation on knee and thigh. No pain. Any suggestion?

Yes have a bump that appears on the top part of my knee when I bend it. It's not on the kneecap but above it and I can only see it when I bend my knee. I had an xray and it showed some inflammation,but didn't say much else. It also appears on the same leg that I could have some inflammation in my thigh muscle as well. Any suggestion? I have no pain with this.
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
You could be suffering from bursitis ( pre-patellar or anserinus). A bursa is like a fluid filled sac which smoothens movements at the level of the joints. The inflammation in your muscles could be contributing to the inflammation of this bursa.
As of now, what is needed is:
a. Elevate your leg whenever possible.
b. Warm and cold compresses would help resolve the swelling
c. Rest the affected part as well
d. Some locally applied diclofenac gel could help relieve the inflammation in the bursa and in the muscles.
I hope this helps
Let me know if you have any more questions