Bump on head on parietal side, hurts when touched. Can it be a cancerous tumor?

Bump on head. It's on the left side. When I press on it, it causes pain. If I don't press on it I don't get pain or headache. I noticed it a month ago. I do not know if it was there before, I never noticed. It's on the parietal side. You know that none there. My other side on the right side seems more flatter than the left side. The left side is more raised. I have not had any head trauma. The left side were I feel it more raised (bump) feels hard like if it was part of the skull. When it hurts I feel it more raised than when it doesn't. I get tempted to touch it and press on it. To see If it's growing. I have not gone to the dr. The pain does not happen randomly. Like I said it only happens if I press on it a lot. I'm not dizzy. No history of illness only UTI. I use to get tension headaches but they went away. I'm scared that it can be a cancerous tumor!!! I don't know if I'm just irritating that side since I noticed it more raised than the other.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 3 hours later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question. I will do my best to help you.

The most likely diagnosis here is sebaceous cyst. These are the commonest cysts found within the hair line. They are caused by the blockage of the duct from a sebaceous gland that feeds a hair follicle. They are benign and harmless. They can be removed under local anaesthetic as an office procedure. They tend to get bigger over the years.

Whatever it is it is not a "cancerous tumor". Please do not be scared and show it to your doctor the next time you are in about something else.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Follow-up: Bump on head on parietal side, hurts when touched. Can it be a cancerous tumor? 3 hours later
Can it also be just the shape of my head? It doesn't feel like a cyst. It feels like its my skull. Why would it cause pain only when I press on it? Could I be irritating my head
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi again. Thank you for your follow up question.

Alright. I have to retreat to my second point there. This is nothing serious nor is it anything to worry about. No-body's skull is symmetrical, one side differing from the other is not at all unusual.

To your good health!

Andrew Rynne MD