Bump on anterior pillar, seems like cyst

ENT Specialist
I have a small bump on my anterior pillar that looks like a cyst. It does not hurt and I am planning on having it removed, but wondered if you have ever seen this type of growth in that area and what it most likely might be.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The appearance, size, exact location in relation to the anterior pillar, behavior, growth rate or a close up image will help give a better understanding as to the nature of this mass.

2. A differential will include mostly benign conditions such as polyps, accessory lymphoid tissue, minor salivary gland tumors such as a pleomorphic adenoma, cysts, cystic hygromas and rarely second arch branchial cysts.

3. Imaging studies are of use only to detect any deeper connections or related external masses in the neck.

4. The simplest course of action will be an excision biopsy and a histopathological examination which will reveal the true diagnosis of this growth. as long as it is a limited mass, surgery will be minor. You may follow up with the HPE report here.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Bump on anterior pillar, seems like cyst 12 hours later
Thank you for the reply. The size of the growth is about 1/4" wide and 1/8" tall. It has an appearance as if it has fluid in it. It is not a blister. I will let you know what I find out when it is removed which will be a week from this Monday. When I first saw it the doctor said it would go away. I forgot about it and I think it has been there about 3 years and just recently appears to be growing, so I am having it removed.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

1. From your description and duration, it appears to be benign.

2. If the fluid is bluish, it is likely to be a cyst.

3. You may proceed for the excision as soon as possible. Kindly share the HPE report here if possible.

Wish you a speedy recovery,

Follow-up: Bump on anterior pillar, seems like cyst 16 days later
Hello, Dr. Bhatti:

I received my results today and it was a benign oncocytic cyst. Very interesting. When I looked that up on the internet it was hard to find any information about that type of cyst by the uvula. Just wondered if you could tell me anything about that type of cyst and the chances of reoccurrence.

Thank you for helping me with this problem.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for following up.

1. A benign oncocytic cyst is an extremely rare diagnosis.

2. A mentioned before, this has most probably arisen from a minor salivary gland tissue. There are hundreds of such minor salivary glands dispersed throughout the lining of the upper aero-digestive tract.

3. If you excision has been complete, it may not recur.

4. Regular follow-up is all that is required. If you wish to investigate further to actively look out for similar cysts, the screening should include the major salivary glands, upper airway, thyroid and other major glands in the body. The kidneys and breast tissue should also be included.

5. I must emphasize that multiple cysts are extremely rare. In addition cancerous change is very uncommon. Typically, benign lesions causing no symptoms or not capable of causing any symptoms in the future should be left alone.

Wishing you good XXXXXXX