Bump next to rectum with puss in it. How to treat this?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Hi! I have a bump next to my rectum with a puss head on it, when I go to squeeze it puss and watery blood come out of the head, and the same watery blood and puss come out of the rectum, not a lot but enough to recognize. What is this please? How can this be treated? Thank you...
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Most likely this is fistula between the rectum and the skin. It is nothing more than accessory connection (a small canal) which goes from the rectum to the skin. Because this canal gets infected by bacteria from rectum, the puss appears in this area. That is why, when you squeeze it, the puss comes from it and from the anus.
You wont get rid of it by yourself. Medical attention is required.
You should visit general surgeon, have an incision of it and puss evacuation. To confirm this diagnose MRI or colonoscopy should be performed. This is also necessary for proper treatment of it.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Bump next to rectum with puss in it. How to treat this? 5 minutes later
Thank you for your quick response. Can the puss be extracted with a needle? Is this a difficult surgery? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Well, yes it can be extracted with the needle. But it will solve the problem temporarily. For permanent treatment it needs to be wide opened with an incision, so the puss wont be accumulating. Such incision will also let the opened fistula to get healed and closed during the healing process (the scar tissue will close the fistula so it will be separated from the skin).
It is not difficult surgery, especially if the lump is not big. But it is better to find someone who has an experience with such fistulas (every surgeon can make an incision, but not everyone knows that it needs to be large enough to solve the problem).

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Bump next to rectum with puss in it. How to treat this? 6 minutes later
When you say wide opened with an incision, how will recovery be for me?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
Well, it does not heal quickly. Usually it takes few weeks. But most patients find it only as a discomfort and usually the healing process is not painful.
I think it is to early to talk about it as it does not have to be a fistula (most likely it is). Just visit your doctor for exact diagnose.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Bump next to rectum with puss in it. How to treat this? 27 minutes later
One more thing..Is this a serious surgery that could lead to complications? What really causes a fistula? I have a colonoscopy scheduled in a few weeks. Thank you..

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
No, this is not a serious surgery. Just an incision of the skin. No serious complications.
Fistula can be caused by rectum regional inflammation and/or infection(due to inflammatory bowels disease for example), however most of fistulas (90%) reasons lefts unknown. So most likely you wont get any specific reason of it.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Bump next to rectum with puss in it. How to treat this? 8 minutes later
I won't need a biodesign plug Will I?

Well, this is one of many available method of fistula treatment. In case of this plug usage, a large incision wont be necessary and the healing process will be much quicker. But it all depends of the type, localisation of this fistula and the doctors experience.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Bump next to rectum with puss in it. How to treat this? 14 minutes later
Dr., When you said it is not a complicated surgery,Where is the incision made? on the outside of my skin or do they go into the anus to make the incision? Thank you..

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
The incision is made exactly in the area where the lump is visible on the skin. No need to make an incision in the anus (it would be too XXXXXXX in this case). Even if the plug is inserted, it is made from the outside.

Regards.