Bump near hair line, headache, swollen dark eye, dizziness following a fall. Should I seek medical help?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
I fell on the wet ceramic tile kitchen floor on Thursday, got a fairly large goose egg bump just into my left hair line area (I am female, age 55), smallish cut, lots of blood, put ice on, was fine, no other major symptoms just a headache, then 2 days later on Saturday, what ever injury I had on my head spread itself over into my eye in the form of a HUGE dark purple black eye with a bit of swelling. No pain really. It is turning greenish, etc now. My bump on the head is smaller, softish, but still there. I wonder if I should have gone for medical advice, as in an xray or something. The black eye doesn't bother me, but the bump is tender, and just over an inch wide, slightly soft with a scab on it. I feel slightly dizzy at times, nothing major, but that could be attributed to other things like lack of sleep or something. Is it too late or should I seek medical attention for the bump?
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 38 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.
First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not suggest any serious head injury and there is no need to worry at present.
These symptoms are due to scalp hematoma (bleeding underneath the skin over head). As you suggested, the blood tracks down and accumulates around the eyes, as the skin is loose there. With change in the blood color, the skin color changes too.
Dizziness is part of mild head injury.
There is no need to go to a doctor now, as you would gradually improve on your own in a week or two.
However, if you have severe headache or vomiting, you may consult a doctor.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Bump near hair line, headache, swollen dark eye, dizziness following a fall. Should I seek medical help? 12 minutes later
OK thanks Doctor I think you are right. Just the bump does bother me a bit, and the bruising around my left eye will go away. I was just concerned that maybe my skull had a hairline fracture or something. If this was the case however, wouldn't I have had more symptoms? Many thanks. XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX
Thank you for getting back.
I agree with you that if you had a hairline fracture, you would have had more severe pain and severe tenderness on touching/pressing that area.
So, as long as pain is reducing over time, you can wait and watch.
If pain increases, a skull Xray can always be done. However, skull fractures do not require any treatment unless the bone fragment is depressed or displaced. Minor undisplaced fractures are allowed to heal on their own over a few weeks.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Bump near hair line, headache, swollen dark eye, dizziness following a fall. Should I seek medical help? 4 minutes later
OK thanks Doctor - I will just wait and see if it goes down. Take care yourself, XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 0 minute later
Thank you and take care,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM