Bump in upper lip, not hurting or itching, white dots. Is this molluscum contagiosum? Shoud I avoid oral sex?

Dermatologist
Question
Good evening,
I have a tiny bump on my upper lip - it appeared in January of this year, so I've had it a few months now. It does not hurt/itch and if looked at very closely, the bump is made up of very tiny white dots. What could this be? My gyno said she didn't think it was an STD, then my general practitioner said it could be molluscum contagiosum - however I am reading that this is rare on the lips and is usually more in the genital area. If this is molluscum contagiosum, does this mean I should avoid oral sex? How contagious would this be? I have attached a picture, you will see it on my upper lip, left side. Thanks for your help!
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 3 hours later

thanks for writing in.

This indeed looks like Molluscum contagiosum to me. However a better pic with a close up of the lesion will be more helpful.

Just to inform you that Molluscum is usually spread by sexual route. However, if the lesions are present at sites other than the genitals, then thepossibility of infection through other routes like touch, kissing, using infected things like epilators, razors, combs etc should also be considered.

You should avoid oral sex as the infection may be transferred to your partner.

This is easily treated by chemical or radio cautery. You may talk to a dermatologist personally for it.

However, i strongly recommend you to send me a better, clearer pic so that I can have a closer look at the lesion and be 100% sure.

Thanks
Awaiting your response

Follow-up: Bump in upper lip, not hurting or itching, white dots. Is this molluscum contagiosum? Shoud I avoid oral sex? 7 hours later
I have attached a close-up. I hope this helps. If this is molluscum contagiosum and doesn't involve my genitals, is it still considered a STD? And how long do I refrain for oral sex for?

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for the pic.

this is indeed Molluscum Contagiosum only. As I said earlier, when present over extra-genital sites, it is not usually considered an STI as there may be other sources of infection.

You must refrain from oral sex till this is treated completely which is easy to do and doesnt take much time.

you may visit a dermatologist and get treated either by chemical or radiocautery. The bump will fall off in a day or two.

Thanks

Follow-up: Bump in upper lip, not hurting or itching, white dots. Is this molluscum contagiosum? Shoud I avoid oral sex? 12 hours later
Thanks, Doctor. I actually went to the dermatologist today and she performed liquid nitrogen therapy and froze the wart off. A blister formed a few hours later. Is it okay to put makeup over it?

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 hours later
Yes, you can put makeup over it (if it is essential). But try to use mineral based make up, not oil based.

Liquid nitrogen spray is a good way to treat these lesions.