Bump in the rib area, sudden weight gain, dry nose, sleeplessness. Taken diet pills in the past. Cancer?

Liver & Menstrual periodOkay so im feeling a little bump by my right rib area. it hurts while i sit down or if im laying down upside down. Im braking out horrible and gained 15 pounds. in less than 2 months. I drink water yet my nose feels dry. I get thirsty during night time. and have trouble falling asleep. I took diet pills on the past. Im so scared that it might be cancer or something. My doctor did a blood test to check my liver. & said my liver was fine. What could it be?
&for my period im 6 days late. i took 3 pregnancy test. they all came out negative. But i still havent gotten anything. :( Im so scared.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 14 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

First of all, I don't think these symptoms have anything to do with Cancer.

To explain your symptoms better, I need to know your age and body mass index (weight/height) to know whether you are obese and if so, how much?

Some of your symptoms (overweight, trouble falling asleep, thristy during night time) suggest towards a condition known as Obstructive Sleep Apnea. It is a sleep disorder that involves significant decrease in airflow in the presence of breathing effort. It is the most common type of sleep-disordered breathing and is characterized by recurrent episodes of upper airway collapse during sleep. The main symptoms of sleep apnea include Snoring and daytime sleepiness.

It has strong association with and potential cause of the most debilitating medical conditions, including Hypertension, Cardiovascular disease, Coronary Artery Disease, insulin-resistance Diabetes, depression, and, as mentioned, sleepiness-related accidents. Hence, it is paramount to diagnose it and treat early. You can consult a physician specialising in sleep disorders for above purpose.

These symptoms may also be due to Type 2 Diabetes, are your blood sugars OK? You also need to take advice for reducing your weight, which will require a diet plan, exercise program and may be weight-reducing surgeries which are fairly easy and safe to get done these days.

I hope, this answers your query.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.