Bump in crease of arm, soreness, oozing brown pus when popped. What could this be?

I have a large bump on the crease of my arm. I have popped it a couple times and has gone down some, however its still there and is sore. And the pus that came out was brown. Do you have any idea what this could be?
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
The discharge of brown pus from the bump is suggestive of a bacterial infection in the area. You need to have proper systemic antibiotics to reduce the infection in the area.
Though it is good that you have cleaned and drained the abscess with antiseptic solution, I would have been happier if you had done this under medical guidance.

Skin abscesses are normally caused due to inflammatory reaction to an infection like bacteria or parasite. It can also occur due to foreign substance within the body (a needle or a splinter, for example). Abscesses may develop because of obstructed sebaceous or sweat glands, inflammation of hair follicles.

Since the abscess is large, you can apply warm compresses to the area for about 30 minutes, four times daily. And once the area is completely drained you can apply a bandage over the packing.

In addition, you will need to get antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicines prescribed by a Physician. And also check your blood sugars. People with high blood sugars are prone to develop abscess.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.