Bump below the elbow, near a vein, injured, sore

Hi. I have a large bump on my left arm, a few inches below the elbow. It is about the size of a quarter dollar. It is soft and blue. It appears whether I extend my arm or not. It not itchy but, it is painful if you press against it. It does seem to be on or at a vein. I was injured in this area (banged it) a year or two back and banged it again about 3 months ago. Since rebanging it about 3 months ago its even more sore than previously. In addition, after lying down for a while (for example overnight) when I go to stand up the area from the injury to the elbow feels like something is draining downward. I am not sure what this is or if I should be concerned.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 59 minutes later

The blue swelling below the elbow after an injury is most likely a collection of blood in that localized area as a result of the injury. The collection of blood initially is red but later on becomes bluish in color due to degradation of blood inside it. Since your swelling has not got infected till now, it is most likely a harmless swelling.

Gradually it will resolve. For occasional pain or the draining sensation you can do cold sponging of that area.

While getting resolved the color will change to brown and then will be back to normal. Another option is that you can get the collected blood drained surgically if it does not resolve or if there are any pressure symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.