Bump around anus and vagina, itchy, sore

Question
I have a bump that comes up sometimes around my bum hole and sometimes around my vagina. Its just one bump but it itches really bad for a couple of days and then turns into a sore. It burns when I go to the bathroom but as if I keep it clean and dry (as possible) it usually goes away in about a week.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 minutes later

This bump can be an external hemorrhoid or a boil.

A hemorrohoid sometimes falsely felt at the vaginal area though it is coming out of the anal opening. A boil origins from one of hair follicle in the pubic area.

Symptoms of external hemorrhoids may include painful swelling or a hard lump around the anus which may itch.

It is reasonable to find out the right reason and XXXXXXX the diagnosis. Hence it is best to consult a general surgeon and get it examined by physical examination or by anoscopy.

First of all lifestyle measures need to be incorporated.

1)     A Normal American diet lacks right amount of fibre. You should increase the fiber in your diet by eating fruits and vegetables. Be a smart grocer, choose foods which have fibre more than 25gm in the nutrition information label

2)     You can also sit in hot sitz bath by sitting in a shallow bucket with hot water three times a day. The heat would help in relieving the discomfort and pain of the hemorrhoids.

3)     Application of local anesthetic gels and vaso constrictors like Preparation H are also useful.

4)     However for specific treatment, you have to consult a surgeon. Some of the preferred methods are injection sclerotherapy, rubber band ligation and by surgical method like hemorrhoidectomy. Nowadays laser coagulation and infrared photocoagulation are also used.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Bump around anus and vagina, itchy, sore 4 hours later
So if this is a hemorrhoid it will come and go, itch like crazy for a few days and then turn in to a sore, and eventually go away? I have noticed that warm water in a bath or just on a wash cloth helps. I still don't understand how it gets down to the vaginal area.....all though it does happen on the anus more often sometimes it does show up on the area of skin between the vagina and anus (closer to vagina). I want say most of the time it will show up at the anus first and them a few day later towards the vagina but most of the time just located at the anus. You said something about seeing a surgeon, if it is a hemorrhoid will it require surgery?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

It seems like external hemorrhoids only. The surgeon is the expert in handling the same.

Sitz bath, in which KMNO4 solution (potassium permanganate) is put in a small tub and the patient is made to sit in the same. It has got a local anti-inflammatory effect and also has a soothing effect and facilitates the healing of the hemorrhoids.

The surgery depends on the grade of the hemorrhoids. It is usually the grade 3 hemorrhoids which are operated upon. There are other techniques like banding which are used for the grade 1 & 2 hemorrhoids.

Please do consult a surgeon for the same.

I sincerely hope that helps.