Bump appeared on temple after head injury. Feeling stiff neck and bruised eyelid . Worrisome

I hit my head a week ago and instantly got a big bump near my temple. I iced it the 1st 48 hrs and it has gone down significantly but it's still there. I also got a black eye 2 days after the injury. The bruise was first only on my eyelid but every day it's getting lower and now extends from my eyebrow to my cheekbone. My neck also feels very stiff and sore. I haven't gone to the doctor because I don't have insurance. Should I be worried?
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 36 minutes later
Hello Mam,

Thanks for posting this question in XXXXXXX

Let me tell you that the severity of brain insult and/or local organ injury depends upon the associated symptoms as well as the presence/absence of any neurological deficits. The presence of loss of consciousness, vomiting, convulsions, weakness of any side, bleed from nose, black eye, neck problem etc will point towards the possibility of a brain insult like, concussion or bleed.

I have noted all your complaints.

Even though the local swelling is improving, the presence of black eye and neck stiffness mandates urgent neurological evaluation. The local neurologist will guide you though clinical evaluation and the need of CT scan of brain with bone window (to rule out any fracture).

If the clinical evaluation and scans are normal, you do not have to worry.
I am sorry that you do not have insurance. At least visit a local hospital in Public sector and get evaluated.

Hope this clarfies
Follow-up: Bump appeared on temple after head injury. Feeling stiff neck and bruised eyelid . Worrisome 1 hour later
I haven't had any other symptoms - no vomiting, bleeding, convulsions, weakness. Still think I should go in.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 3 hours later

Thanks for the update.

It is really relieving to know that you are not having other symptoms. But, to be on the sure side, it is better to get the CT head with bone window, as there is black eye that is extending.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any further concerns.

Best wishes