Bump appeared on lip. No relief by using carmex lip balm. Tested negative for herpes. Prognosis?

My 8 year old son was complaining last night when I put lip balm on him that his lip was hurting. I looked at it and he had a bump on his top lip. It was not an open blister but looked like when you bur a finger and the skin bumps up. I put carmex lip balm on him and he still complained this morning. My doctor failed to give me a herpes test while I was pregnant and after I have the baby when I so many times complained that I had an awful itching on my privates. I am always terrified of having passed that on to my son after he was born for lack of knowledge. Tree years ago I had my son take a good test for Herpes and came up negative, but I read online that kids test can sometimes come up negative. Should I test him again? I am so paranoid about this. My husband thinks is because he didn't have lip balm yesterday and the temperature in NYC was brutal cold and his lip got burned by the cold, but if so why the blast looking bump? do you know what it might be? Should I have him take another herpes good test again?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 15 minutes later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
There is absolutely no reason to worry.
This is not Herpes at all.
There is no chance of having herpes at the age of 8 that was transmitted at the time of your pregnancy.
The tests have even come out negative.
I could have assured you better if you had sent a photograph of the lesion along with your query.
There is no need to test him again.
If the lesion is itchy it might be an allergic lesion or a mucus cyst.
Ask him not to lick the area.Give him a mild antiallergic syrup/tablet and apply an emollient gel over the lesion.
Consult a dermatologist if the lesion increases.
Kindly do not worry.He will get well soon.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Follow-up: Bump appeared on lip. No relief by using carmex lip balm. Tested negative for herpes. Prognosis? 24 hours later
thank you so much. Yesterday I put ointment on his skin. Around his nose, since he had a running nose I figure all that cleaning must have irritated his skiing. I also put ointment on his face when he had a little rash last night and this morning looked almost gone.. I guess the awful cold weather is irritating his skin.

Again thank you for replying so quick.

Have a great day.
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 6 hours later

Thank you for your kind words.
I hope your child recovers fast with your tender love and care.

Have a nice day.