Bump and swelling appeared above ankle bone and sensitive to touch. What should I do?

General Surgeon
I dropped a weight on my ankle, above the ankle bone. There is a quarter-size bump and swelling that is sensitive to the touch. I have full mobility and can walk with no difficulty, although the ankle aches. Should I use a tensor bandage, and what else do you suggest?
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

There is always possibility of bones fracture (the pain can not be present), knee hematoma, fluid in the knee. All of mentioned can result in the knee further immobility. Especially fluid or blood in knee can cause its inflammation and result with its degeneration. That is why, you should have an X-ray of your knee.
If you knee is swollen and bigger than the healthy one, knee punction might be necessary.
Tensor bandage is not a good way to get rid of the pain. Usually the pain indicates that there is some destruction and you should not use your knee for some time to get it healed. Putting tensor bandage will ease the pain but can result with more destruction. Moreover, such bandage causes ligaments weakening.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Bump and swelling appeared above ankle bone and sensitive to touch. What should I do? 41 minutes later
Your answer referenced my knee, however, I do not have a knee injury. The swelling and pain are above the ankle. Please review my question again. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 34 minutes later

I`m so sorry for this mistake. I was thinking about knee while reading about the ankle.
Dropping something on the ankle can cause fracture which wont cause any pain during walking as it can be superficial bone fracture. But there is no risk of hematoma or fluid cumulation in the joints of this area (unlike in the knee).
I suggest you to have X-ray of your foot to make sure there is no fractures.
To ease the swelling, you can put cold compress on it, hold your leg little bit higher while sitting or sleeping (so the swelling can go away with gravity).

If the skin at this area become tight, red, and the swelling will get worse, there is a risk of veins thrombosis or creating the hematoma in the soft tissues (not in the joints). Therefore, medical help might be necessary. Veins thrombosis usually gives calf swelling and pain. To have it diagnosed Doppler ultrasound should be performed.

Hope this answers your question and once again my apologies for this mistake.
Feel free to ask further questions.