Bump after leg injury, done icing. What should I do next?

Bumped my right leg just above the ankle and got a goose egg immediately. Iced it and elevated it for about first 45 minutes. What should I do next and what should I watch for? Do I ice it for 24-48 hours, keep it elevated, take tylenol, aspirin or motrin?
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

Sometimes even with a minor trauma to the ankle a significant amount of bleeding and bruising can occur.

Right now I would recommend that you continue aggressive therapy with ice. I would try to use that at least five or six times per day for 15 or 20 minute periods.

I would not recommend aspirin or ibuprofen as both of these medications can sometimes contribute to more bleeding and bruising. I would recommend Tylenol. You can take two tablets every 4 to 6 hours as needed.

In addition I recommend that you try to elevate your leg as much as possible over the next several days. This will help to minimize swelling.

Thank you again for sending your question. If you have any additional questions regarding this please do not hesitate to ask.

Dr. Robert