Bump above C-section scar, hurts. Pains when urinating, Is it hernia?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I have a hard bump about an inch above my c section scar from 9 years ago. I only noticed yesterday when I was feeling around because my lower left abdominal area hurt. It was very painful to pee and now I have had an annoying pain for two days.

Could it be a hernia ?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

I am sorry to read that you are suffering with this terrible pain. I shall try to help you in the best way possible. From what you describe there could be 2 possibilities:

1) The bump you describing could be a "hernia". Sometimes post surgery, the site of incision may become lax and weak to an extent that some contents like intestine may protrude from it. This causes a bump. Occasionally if intestines are strangulated in hernia, it leads to pain like this.

2) The pain during micturition (Peeing) and lower abdomen pain aslo occur in doctor, urine test for microscopy & culture / sensitivity and ultrasound of pelvis and abdomen will help us differentiating amongst the two possibilities. I suggest you to visit your doctor at the earliest.

In the meantime drink plenty of water, avoid any strenuous physical activity.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available to answer your further queries.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Bump above C-section scar, hurts. Pains when urinating, Is it hernia? 7 hours later
I have had a UTI before where it hurts to Pee this is different. Only my left side hurts but it is a sharp pain. I also have it when I walk.

I am very bloated and gasie today too

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thanks for reverting back.

Urinary tract infection (UTI) can present in different ways and pain can occur anywhere in abdomen. Hence pain in left side could be due to UTI also. But in background of suspicion of hernia, it could be strangulation of hernia also (considering pain while walking and bloating).

A direct examination by your doctor, urine test for microscopy & culture / sensitivity and ultrasound of pelvis and abdomen will help us differentiating amongst the two possibilities. I suggest you to visit your doctor at the earliest.

In the meantime drink plenty of water and avoid any strenuous physical activity.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol